Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Ugh. MY FINGER. (and a Portal story!)

You know you're not having a good day when you fingernail that had been broken halfway across about 3 mm. behind the flesh line decides to break more, and you end up having to pull it off.

Then the bandage wouldn't stick and I had to tape it on.

I taped a bandage on my finger.

I taped a bandage on my finger.

*sigh*

Y'know about my obsession with portal? Well, obsessions lead to roleplays. It's pretty random since it started out as the question "Um, hi. Can I sit on you or something?" on this ask GLaDOS deviation by the person I'm currently roleplaying with. My charrie, Liz (actually, Elizabeth. Liz is a nickname. :P), is still having a bit of a hard time getting used to the fact that GLaDOS is actually being nice to her.

This is partially due to the fact that GLaDOS had no idea that Liz was 13 years old, and so when she arrived at Aperture after getting high (and insane!) off of sugar she was put into testing, where GLaDOS proceeded to be her usual (maybe not so passive) passive aggressive self by first dropping her into a glass box and bouncing her around in a room coated in repulsion gel, then dropping lang fall boots onto her head, then dumping her out of an excursion funnel, almost breaking her back.

And then the next day when Liz woke up after being excused to a relaxation chamber for the night (and GLaDOS had used aromatherapy to help with the back pain), she told GLaDOS how old she was and GLaDOS got a lot nicer all of a sudden. She even apologized for anything offensive the previous day and wouldn't let Liz test.

And that sums up all the important stuff that happened on DeviantART, and half of it was erased by stupid comments not showing. The comments not showing up started halfway into the testing when Liz was busy taking apart a turret.

Now for the real reason why I was posting this.

I wanted to write a little scene from my... daydreams, you could call them. Only they're more like stories than anything else. It's like a movie in my head, and the only downside is I tend to bounce around a lot in my room when things get actiony.

They have taken on many different themes, depending on what I'm into. And what I'm into right now is Portal, sooo... Portal themed daydreaming! If the characters aren't that in character, it's because I tend to warp things to my liking, creating an alternate universe where I can play out stories to my liking. And then I go and create more alternate universes where things went different ways, and I tend to use time traveling a lot, so every time I do that I make an AU because of a cool little paradox guard I thought up. Basically, when you go back in time, you create an AU where you went back in time, and the original universe stays untouched.

Anyway, I'm warning you here: the Portal AU my daydreams mainly take place in contains a bit of ChellDOS if you squint. They're really good friends, and Chell's been uploaded into GLaDOS's mind while her body was being regenerated 3 times, a month at a time. And Caroline had her body back, and Cave Johnson was put in stasis before he died and is now back and healthy and in charge of the human side of Aperture, with GLaDOS in charge of pretty much everything else. Any by human side I mean hiring people and all that.

So, a small repair scene coming up because I wanted to. Don't expect too many of these little scenes from my daydreams.

--

Chell walked up to the door of the central AI chamber, her multi-tool screwdriver-wrench thingymabob in hand. As she expected, GLaDOS had left it on the motion activated setting, so it opened for her when she walked up to it. She walked in and GLaDOS swung her chassis around to face her, her optic whirring in a feeble attempt to bring her into focus.

"Repair time!" Chell said cheerfully, mostly because she knew how much GLaDOS hated it when her optic was broken and she had to fix it.

GLaDOS made a sound that could only be described as a sigh and started lowering herself down. "I never used to break like this, you know. I wouldn't be surprised if you are making me break."

"Oh, come on, you know I'd never do that." Chell gently grabbed GLaDOS's faceplate, pulling her into the best position for her to work on her optic.

"I never know what you would do, you crazy lunatic." GlaDOS said, and pulled back what would pass as her eyelids as far as they would go, allowing Chell access to her optic. Chell reached in and cut the wires connecting GLaDOS's optic to the rest of her, and the bright yellow light faded away as the AI jumped at her sudden loss of sight.

Chell put the defective optic down on the ground and pulled a new one out of the pocket of her pants. She started to connect the wires, fairly certain she wasn't doing anything wrong because she had, after all, done this about 10 times now. The majority of those times were when the nanobots decided to rebel against GLaDOS and had started out by disabling her optic over and over again to get the hang of breaking things instead of fixing them.

It didn't help that GLaDOS was... well, the only acceptable word for what she was doing was squirming. Her head was moving a bit as a result of the movement of the rest of her body; not much, but still enough to make Chell worry she was going to horribly mess something up.

"Hold still, will you, Gladdy?" She said, failing to keep the annoyance out of her voice.

"It's not my fault your brain damaged mind can't even figure out how to replace my optic."

"It would go a lot faster if you would just stay still," Chell sighed. GLaDOS stopped moving shortly after.

Chell connected the last wire and GLaDOS's optic lit up. After checking that everything was connected and working, Chell stepped back. Getting the hint, GLaDOS rose back up towards the ceiling and began loudly calibrating her brand new optic.

Smiling, Chell walked over to the wall and a computer slid out of it, courtesy of GLaDOS. She stopped in front of the computer and began to check GLaDOS's files to see if the new optic was connecting properly. This was the only computer in the entire facility that could access GLaDOS's files.

Finding nothing wrong, she turned back towards GLaDOS, who was regarding her with that "I want you to do something for me" look.

"The gel mixing stations are clogged up." She said blandly. "Why don't you go and unclog them for me since you're being so helpful today?"

"What? Bu-"

"Ah ah ah. No buts. Now scurry along like an obedient little human and go do what I asked please, Chelly?"

Chell sighed, and started walking towards the door when she was grabbed around the waist by a large metal claw and lifted onto GLaDOS's back.

"I suppose," GlaDOS said, "that you could stay in here a little longer though. Just in case my optic suddenly decides to break again."

Chell silently grinned and leaned back against a clump of wires, making herself comfortable while GLaDOS used multiple screens to monitor the facility and look at files and security feed, gently rotating to look from screen to screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment